Sunday, April 27, 2014

Week 3 Toughts

This week started with the reading of two articles on aural/oral skills: Developing Listening Skills with Authentic Materials (Lindsey Miller) and The Employment of CALL in Teaching Second/Foreign Language Speaking Skills (Juila Gong).  It was possible to notice how pronunciation teaching was neglected and how technology tools can help practicing it and develop speaking and listening for communication. Also,  listening has been considered something you "learn by doing", that is not true; there should be strategies to practice it, considering the format pre-, while- , and post-listening.

After reading the articles we explored some sites and lesson plans - some of them I had seen before, but had not considered the potential for speaking learning specially. I hope now I am able to use them to enhance students communication abilities.

Creating my Delicious page was  not a new experience to me. I had one account in the past that was deleted for some reason. But it was good to do this activity since I could remember how important it is to share discoveries and ideas.

Reading some sample project reports so as to choose one of them for description and analysis was a provoking activity.  This task made me reflect on somebody else’s context and work, and helped me to feel confortable to start developing mine. 

Hope next week is great as this one!

Ju
Brazil



1 comment:

  1. Hi Juliana,

    I totally agree with you regarding technology to help develop listening and speaking skills. At times I feel teachers are on a save side if they have an exciting activity based on technology, students love it.

    And, yes reading sample project reports definitely gave a picture of what to expect further ))


    Aisulu

    ReplyDelete