Sunday, May 18, 2014

Week 6 Toughts

Hi dear all,

This week was very important and curious to me, specially because I discovered that Power Points can be used to promote interaction. Creating an interactive Power Point helped me realize that what is interactive is not the technology itself but the way we implement its use in the classroom.

I have also started implementing my project; I am having a hard time dealing with implementing technology in my classroom since the institution where I work, to sum up, seems not have interest in it. Also the students are very passive yet. It seems they enjoy technologies but do not want to try new things, specially considering doing things at home. Let's keep on the work and see what happens.

What I did? Students listened to various native speakers introducing themselves to discover their countries/nationalites considering a list. Then they matched rhyming words to the names of the countries (for example Brazil - refill). It was not possible to use the internet as I planned, so I had to record the audio and used a radio to play it and then, prepared a handout with the rhymes. My first intention was using wordcentral in order that they explored such rhymes. I explained how to use wordcenral. Then asked them to record rhyming words at Vocaroo and send to my e-mail. Nobody done this. Maybe if they had experienced these resources in class they could have been more motivated to do this. Next class I will try to understand what happened.

Ju
Brazil


2 comments:

  1. Hello Juliana,

    One thing I've tried is having one or two students (or me) record their Vocaroo in class using my laptop. I then play the recording. This tends to capture their interest and help them get started.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Donna,

    Thanks for your suggestion! Well...today I am glad because students started to use (or try to use) Vocaroo by themselves. Five of the students did this! Now I am wondering why they took so much time to start doing the task...I think it is because they are not used to technology tools to study...well, I will investigate it in class.

    Ju

    ReplyDelete